Friday, May 12, 2006

Uncle Bob's, Vol 2 5.12.06

...so the reason behind my last post maybe isn't as spiritual as I thought it was going to be...but nonetheless, it tickled me.

The whole "Uncle Bob's" thing was brought to my mind (after not thinking about it for probably 10 years...) because of something that happened to me yesterday. I was on my daily run (yeah, I'm runnin' Forest Gump style lately....), and took a different route than I usually do. I found myself running parallel to a thickly wooded area, the kind that would be perfectly suited for a new "Uncle Bob's". I wondered if the neighborhood kids had "Uncle Bob's", and if so, what do they call them?

I thought about how good it felt, walking through the thick grass to get to the woods...and how, even though the twigs and branches had thorns and burs, I relished the feeling of those scrapes on my bare, sun-burned, 16 year old legs. I remembered the excitement that would rush over me as I took my first step onto the muddy forest floor, and the anticipation that filled my being over who's gonna fight who...who's gonna kiss who...who's going to cry tonight.

I miss that excitement, that anticipation. How innocent we were when our biggest stressor was getting chapter 8 read by Friday. How perfectly beautiful we were when there was no regard for socioeconomics, just unadulterated fun. How romanticly genuine we were, when our hearts all but sank when our boyfriend or girlfriend of 15 minutes "dumped" us. How amazing and wonderful and horrible and tumultuous and fabulous...all wrapped up into one, pubescent, sticky-fumblings-in-the-back-seat memory.

I'm getting back to those basics. I'm getting back to just enjoying moments. I'm getting out of the game, and into the real. Life may be short, but fuck if I'm gonna miss the ride, and all the little bumps and blunders in between.

The smell of Uncle Bob's is still fresh in the air to me...thick with smoke, and cigarettes, and stale, cheap beer, and stale, cheap purfume. Few people or things have been able to evoke that spirit in me. Some people made it happen a couple weeks ago. Some things made it happen yesterday. For those, I must be thankful...and look forward to the next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home